Saturday, September 03, 2005

Travel Report

For image, see post below and add a thousand bug splats to the shine on the car's finish.

  • $2.99 – price of gas in Springfield, MO
  • "Do Not Drive Into Smoke" –signs posted throughout OK. Okay…. You’re driving. Along a turnpike. There’s smoke. Now what is it you are supposed to do?
  • Oklahoma City – first reception of an all Spanish radio broadcast. You gotta love the tuba and accordian duets.
  • $2.93 – price of gas in Oklahoma City
  • 5 miles west of Oklahoma City – sighting of first armadillo road kill
  • OK Turnpike restroom – sighting of two stars of a boy band. I have no idea which one. (You do a google search on "boy band" images and you'll see why I couldn't precisely locate one of them.) How did I know they were a boy band? My car would fit 10x into their extravagant chauffeured bus. And they were too young to be a man band.
  • 4 – the number of Louisiana license plates seen heading west
  • Custer City, OK – Cherokee Restaurant and home of the “Collectible Porcelain Dolls”. Yeah, well. Can’t anything be collected, thus making it a collectible?
  • $3.04 – price of gas in Amarillo, TX (88 octane)
  • 51.5 miles – distance west of Amarillo when radio reception was reduced to only one station
  • 7 miles more – distance traveled before losing all radio reception
  • NM state line –first sighting of a NM license plate. I kid you not; it was simultaneous with the state line. Spooky. Do New Mexicans exist outside of New Mexico?
  • $3.09 – price of gas in Albuquerque, NM (86 octane)

2 comments:

jonathan said...

I have been to 13 states and I almost never see New Mexican plates. But I usually travel on laps and rarely look out windows.

Dennis R. Plummer said...

I feel better now about not seeing NM plates, Sister. I thought perhaps I had just missed them all. I envy your lap travel.

free counters