Because of his failing mental capacity, Morey would often have to find creative ways to express what he was trying to communicate. I loved these unintentional witticisms. During our time together, I collected many of these funny little sayings.
• This country has set itself up real nice: it has so many relationships in it.
• You have to help people with their problems because they are hypnotized by them.
• Religions tell you that you are better than everyone else. That’s how all the trouble starts.
• If someone has a different religion, you don’t have to date them or take them out or anything. But you can respect them.
• All you can do is to make your life pleasant and your family’s—that’s the thing. Getting along is respecting other’s feelings.
• Chew your food fine and slowly—that's the thing. And stop when you start to feel full. You can always start again.
• You can’t manage someone else’s mind.
• It sure is windy today; maybe I’ll get a new head!
• The weather has nothing to do with voting. (meaning: you can’t do anything about the weather)
• Fresh air cheers my heart.
How to get along with others:
• I always say, ‘Well, you may be right. I’ll consider it.”
Evolution and Capitalism:
• I wouldn’t be surprised if some day a bug learns to speak English. As long at it buys something, we probably won’t mind.
Concerning old age:
• It doesn’t hurt, but it doesn’t help either.
Regarding a bookstore (the double entandre):
• It has a lot of stories about it.
• Cars (in a line of backed-up traffic) – a “li-on of cars”
• Clouds – a “ruffle of clouds”
• I made money once, but it wasn’t my fault.
While recovering from bronchitis:
• The trouble with fighting nature is that nature doesn’t talk.
Evaluating a restaurant:
• It’s perfect for those who like it.
When asked about how he stays so fit:
• Well, I’ve been at it a long time.
• The whole world is together and when people come from other places through marriage or acquaintance, you have to adopt them.
When he had an upset stomach:
• Just imagine if your bottom could speak.
• You don’t feel like falling asleep while you are walking.
Zen by Morey:
• Good things are well kept.
• I’ll finish and then I’ll be done.
• Human beings are human beings.
Clouds in the sky:
• You don’t have to antagonize them or anything. Just appreciate them and they just look pretty.