Friday, November 11, 2005

Oh, That Crazy American English

I was at the city treasurer's office this week to get my business license. There was an elderly hispanic woman next to me getting her license for the babysitting she does at home.

Clerk: "So you are working out of your home, correct?"
Woman: "No. I'm working in my home."

Each time the clerk referenced the work she was doing out of her home, the elderly lady would say, "No. I'm working in my home."

It reminded me of Abu (from The Simpsons) after a huge tank explosion. He exclaims, "Inflammable means flammable?! What a country!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dennis,

You know I like this one.

(Non-native speakers of English sometimes go crazy with English preposition usage.)

Good luck with your business and lots of faithful clients.

Look me in/out of the eyes, baby!

Matthias

Dennis R. Plummer said...

I'm even learning long-distance hypnosis, so watch out!

free counters