Hanging out in Tucson with friends, Eric and Brian. We went to the Sonoran Desert Museum's gem show yesterday and spent about two and a half hours browsing, gawking and buying. Now every countertop in their home is laden with boxes of specimens. Fun, fun, fun.
We're enjoying Seven Cups Tea House, the museum and I'm up each day to read by the pool and to listen to the golfers swear on the court nearby.
Sunday, January 25, 2009
Monday, January 19, 2009
But all in all, it's been a fabulous year for Laura and me."Quote from December 2001, just three months after 3,000 people lost their lives in the World Trade Center.
What a wonderfully sensitive and in-touch president he's been.
Whew. It's over.
Sunday, January 18, 2009
Saturday, January 17, 2009
Friday, January 16, 2009
Although his days are numbered, President Bush's quotations will surely continue to amuse for generations. As you know, I've been including Quotes of the Day in the righthand column. But, as election day draws near, I'm posting some on this side of the page.
"As people do better, they start voting like Republicans--unless they have too much education and vote Democratic."
Thursday, January 15, 2009
Tuesday, January 13, 2009
Friday, January 09, 2009
While I'm posting about Bush and world consumption, I thought I'd add an educational history comparison of Sarah Palin with Barack Obama. I know. That's a silly comparison, but someone the other day told me that they believed these two politicians were pretty much intellectually and experiencially equal.
Sarah Palin, education:
- Hawaii Pacific University, freshman year (1982)
- North Idaho College, majoring in general studies for two semesters (spring/fall 1983)
- University of Idaho, majoring in journalism and broadcast news for one year (fall 1984/spring 1985)
- Matanuska-Susitna College, for one semsester (fall 1985)
- University of Idaho, to graduate with journalism degree (spring/fall 1986, spring 1987)
Barack Obama, education:
- Occidental College Columbia University, B.A. (1983)
- Harvard Law School (1991, magna cum laude and president of the Harvard Law Review)
Sarah Palin, experience:
- Mayor of Wasilla (pop. 5, 469 in 2000) from 1996-2002
- Governor of Alaska from 2006-2008
Barack Obama, experienc:
- University of Chicago Law School, professor of law (1992-2004)
- Illinois State Senator (1997-2004)
- United States Senator (2005-2008, serving on these committees: Foreign Relations, Environment and Public Works, Veterans' Affairs, Health Education Labor and Pensions, Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs)
Wednesday, January 07, 2009
Monday, January 05, 2009
The United States of America constitutes 5% of the world's population. We use:
- 25% of the world's oil (China is next highest at 8.3%)
- 159 gallons of water per person per day (world average is 25 gallons)
- 31% of all nuclear energy (France is next highest at 16.5%)
- 23.3% of the world's coal (China is higher at 28.7%, India follows the U.S.A. at 7.4%)
- 123 kg of meat per person per year (Germany is next highest at 86 kg)