Sunday, May 16, 2010

I went to church this morning, as I have been doing more consistently over the past few Sundays. Not because I want to, so much as because it seems to be good for me. No, I don't think it makes me a better person. At least not in the sense of "chalk one up for good acts" by going to church.

But good for me in the sense that I feel, well, yeah, that I am better for going. Call it childhood guilt, perhaps. But it does seem to make a difference.

I think that it has something to do with the direction of the Eucharist. Most often, I think of the Eucharist as something that is coming to me. God, Incarnate, infusing my self with God's self. Bread and wine taken in. Reuniting me with my Source of being.

Lately, after reading a little article on the Eucharist at Corinth (sorry, don't have reference handy), I'm sensing these particular sacraments as moving from me towards God. Reconnecting and giving of myself to God and the Body of Christ. I don't have a lot of words for it, really. But it seems important and I'm glad that I went this morning.

No comments:

free counters