Sunday, March 18, 2007

CRASH

I had a volunteer come by the shelter on Friday to help out. It became the perfect storm of calamity.

The organization has been trying to get a better server for years, but hasn't. My assistant was the first one to start backing up our database; but unbeknownst to any of us, she was only saving shortcuts and icons, not the actual data from the server. I invited an MBA student to come and teach me some about our Access database. She made a copy, but couldn't pull the information out to the copy without my logging in as administrator. Which I did.

And she deleted 3 years of all of the data for our shelter. Nearly 3,000 records with near-endless points of information.

The best computer recovery guy in the city says that it is not retrievable.

My weekend has been busy strategizing, but nothing resolved yet. This is a picture of my brain at the moment...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ughhh.

Anonymous said...

Seems to be going around. Sounds like you might be able to identify with this story on CNN.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/03/20/lost.data.ap/index.html

Dennis R. Plummer said...

Thanks for the link, anonymous. I copied the article and distributed it to all of my staff.

free counters