Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Rrribitt

I heard a frog last night as I drifted off to sleep. It's sound was like a plaintive cry in the dark, a frog with perhaps only this one moist night to find a mate. Like one of those creatures who only live for 24-hours when it rains, then die.

Then I decided to hear it as joyous singing. It became a frog who was so happy that it couldn't help but stay up all night singing praise to the night sky.

Funny how our mind can change our perception--and thus experience--of reality.

2 comments:

Eric said...

Beautiful post, Dennis.

I wrote about the idea of perception in my last blog posting, citing a study in which people entered a controlled virtual reality environment, and even though every character in the environment was controlled by the researchers, people still came out saying that they could hear certain characters talking behind their backs, and other signs of paranoia. We really do create so much of our worlds through our sense of projection and perception.

Anonymous said...

I need to learn how to change my perception of sounds, like the annoying clack!clack! of my colleague's pounding on his ancient keyboard, or the annoying sounds he makes (whistling, popping, etc.) while he pounds on his keyboard.
- Andy

free counters