Sunday, July 12, 2009

Going to the Market

Still riding on inspiration from “Coming Home to Eat”, I arose early today to go to one of the local farmers’ markets. Getting up by ten is a typical Saturday morning for me, so I thought it a small miracle to be out watering my plants at 7:10. Still, that was ten minutes after the market had opened and so it was already bustling with festivity long before I finally arrived at 8:30.

I did not know how much socializing I have been missing! Within 20 minutes into the hour-and-a-half that I spent there, I ran into 11 people whom I know. I spent the morning browsing with three of them.

Roving musicians were singing their mournful and lively rancheras y corridos among artisan displays of arts and crafts. We sampled salt cedar honey and, for a dollar donation to the market, compared and judged fresh salads prepared by four local restaurants. We were cajoled into sampling pie from a big, bustling lady who loudly threatened to ‘git the pie poleece’ after us if’n we didn’t just turn ourselves around and taste the best pie we ever did eat!

I also chatted with my state senator and his wife and I learned that he had set aside $50,000 in 2008 for my agency to spend on adding classrooms. It has been sitting in the city offices for us to use without my ever having been notified.

So, 90 minutes later, I was on my way home loaded with fresh produce, full of salad and chocolate croissant, singing songs in my head, smiling from good conversation with friends and $50,000 richer (for the shelter at least). Not bad for a Saturday morning. Perhaps I’ll get up early more often!


Eggs from the hens at home.

1 comment:

Eric said...

What a fantastic story!

We have a bunch of farmer's markets in Tucson, but the one I usually go to is the one that's been here for decades and is open daily, so it's more of a store than a community event. Maybe I should go to one of the more seasonal or community-driven ones to see what they are like. There's even one on the other side of town that is only for back-yard organics - all the food comes from backyard or community gardens!

free counters