Thursday, August 11, 2005

Remember Back When We Were Small?


Had some interesting correspondence with a friend this week. He is straight and was discussing feelings that I might have for him. One of my responses was a surprise to me in how easily it flowed and how good it felt to let it flow. I had that satisfying feeling that you get when you have the opportunity to express yourself accurately.

I offer it here as a a small step in honesty and self-revelation.
------------

"Yes, I realize that you are straight and that there is not the possibility of our becoming a couple in a physical sense. Ours is a deep--yet platonic--friendship, and we enjoy its depth and even its occasional intensity. But this does not mean that we will further it along the same ways that you or I would pursue a life partner.

"Simultaneously, I do admit to always having a bit of hope and emotion around that being otherwise. Because there is such a spectrum of connection among all people--and because I don't fit too well into conventional boxes--I don't want to force others into acting according to preconceived formulas either. So I accept that there are limitations in our friendship which do not lessen its meaningfulness nor its continued growth. And there are connections we have, both physical and emotional, that do not imply a sexual connection. There is a playful balance in sharing qualities we both desire our life partners to have and not projecting onto the other that he is the life partner.

"In short, I recognize that some dreams and desires are of the heart and worth pursuing through confusion and discomfort to resolution and comfort, while others are merely light-hearted, fanciful creations of the moment which dissipate like chaff in the wind. Those I hold concerning you and me 'encompassing physical, sexual aspects of our selves' [a quote from his e-mail] I believe to be belonging to the latter; the dreams and desires of friendship I consider worthy of the former pursuit.

"My trying to dissect what relationships mean is a bit tormenting and also a bit pleasant. It is an emotion I encounter most distinctly with straight, male friends who are comfortable with considerable depth in their relationships, both with straight and gay men. The depth blurs old distinctions I once relied upon for my clarity. Questions arise. For example, Is it okay for (straight) men to hold hands? Can the two men still do so if there is a deep emotion attached to the action? What is that emotion allowed to be...deep friendship love...deep other love? What does it mean to feel deeply connected to your friends? Can good friends live together as housemates? Can they still do so if they care deeply for one another? What does it mean for two persons who care very deeply for one another to live together? Can one only kiss someone as a friend when you don't have deeper feelings for that person? What about hugs? What about massage? Does all of the defining get you anywhere? How do I distinguish differences in the meaning of what is physical comfort, like hugs, naps, holding or massage and what is sexual fulfillment? If sexual fulfillment is at times merely physical release and the holding of someone a much deeper connection, then which is permissable among friends?

"Which is more sexual, or more truly platonic, and which is more safe? To be lighlty engaged in a friendship, more buddy-to-buddy like and just hanging out, but also having sex? Or to not be physically involved, yet deeply connected on emotional and spiritual levels? And what about the in-between friendships where there is a lot of touch involved, and there is a deep emotional connection, but no intercourse?

"I had two friends in Boston who were intimately close to each other, one straight and one gay. They wrestled with these questions, too. I think the dynamic of straight-gay male friendship raises issues in unique ways that are not encountered through other friendships.

"Because I just viewed the Oliver Stone movie Alexander and have been thinking about old Rome, I wonder if all of this is not unlike the presumed male-male relationships that were more common and accepted back then. The best sex I've had (and the most often) has been with a straight friend of mine and yet there was never any sense that we might somehow be getting together as a couple. We just enjoyed the closeness of our skin to skin and had fun exploring and being playful together. There have been more than one such friendships. And I have been closer emotionally to some women. At times the deeper the emotion is, the more the connection actually feels physical. Where does it all leave me?

"With you, our relationship feels less physically sexual and yet deeper emotionally. It feels to me to be a true and very deep friendship. I had set out in this e-mail to give you a quick and clear response, letting you know that I appreciate your message and that I don't confuse your love or my love with something that would lead to sex. I want to assure you that you don't have to be guarded and that we can continue to enjoy our deep connection, even physical touch in its various forms, without my expecting it to be sex or the relationship to become that of a life partner. I continue to look elsewhere for that fulfillment in a man with whom I can run down the road in the rain. And, while I look, I will still enjoy running hand in hand with you and others without expecting those friendships and the love shared in them to be more than they are.

"I have rambled on long enough to have surely answered all the secrets of love. Unfortunately, I have managed only to scrape at the surface of my own lack of understanding.

"As for us, you and me, I feel as close to you as ever. I hope to always feel that depth and to always share a freedom with you that is unique to our friendship. I do recognize that I have occasional and fleeting fantasies that do not match yours. I enjoy the confusion which this gives me--and I trust that I will always remain able to let go those confusions, to embrace reality. I am content to accept exactly what you have to offer without pressuring it, either intentionally or with my imagination, to become something else. In that I find joy and love."

9 comments:

jonathan said...

You're gay?

jonathan said...

Dennis,
You know from spending some time with me - though not as much as could have been had you not left Albuquerque - that I can not help making some dumb joke and I hope you know that the above was one of those. I appreciate the intimacy of this your writing.
Now that I am moving to the Midwest you are coming back to the Southwest. Hmmm.

Dennis R. Plummer said...

I have to go back to the SW now that you're coming to the Midwest: you know how I can't stand to be around a joker!

Anonymous said...

Wow, intense stuff. I had a terrible time in teen years falling in love with straight boys. Often they were curious and things would happen but my expectations were always much bigger.

For me this stuff is related to not wanting to think that I am different, that this other person has the same feelings I do. Its very difficult and I think that same stuff is actually a component of homophiobia on the flip side of the coin.

I think being clear and honest is the best anyone can do. Hats off to you Mr. Plummer! :-)

-John

Jimmy Carlozzi said...

My God Dennis!! You think too much about these things. Sounds to me that the total equation simply equals "gay," and you didn't get what you wanted out of it. Welcome to the gay world, in the jaded style at it's best. However I really shouldn't comment, only because I have been sheltered due to withdrawal from such drama for so long. I honestly cannot remember the last time that I had possesed a libido, and hence, sexual activity. Now, since you are such a deep thinker about these things, I'll give you something to ponder about me: Have I been asexual because I haven't possessed a libido, or have I no libido because I have been asexual?? Things that make you go hhhmmmmm??
---J.

Dennis R. Plummer said...

My mother, in a heated conversation that supposedly decried "the sin, not the sinner," told me that I couldn't be gay unless I was having sex. That I must be having sex if I called myself gay.

Not that I agree with her, but I thought it might be useful here to read one perspective from the majority of this country.

I live in one of only 12 states where it is illegal for me to be fired from employment becasue I'm gay. In 38 other states, I can be fired from any job merely because my employer doesn't like the fact that I'm gay.

That's why I think too much and why I believe it's important to keep raising the converstion, its issues and educating people.

Jimmy Carlozzi said...

Something I would always like you to remember: you are a person of many facets, gay being one of them, and not your entire composition. Anyone who would discount you for disliking that small part of the whole, is missing out on experiencing a new a wonderful person. Laws were always made to be broken, and are every day by many. I feel this is a very gray area at this pont in time. However, that is something else that I shouldn't really give my opinion on, since I am probably one of the most apolitically aware persons on the planet, as I think all politicians are lying, worthless, self-centered bastards, who really do not directly effect my personal life.........so I don't care about them at all.
Enough of that. My main point: lighten up and enjoy life. Forget about what people think about you. Sticks and stones, etc. (except when in Alabama,,LOL!!). Those who cannot see through the gay, into the whole person are, more than likely, insecure with themselves. If you weren't gay, then they would probably find some other supposedly demonic fault with you.
So, enough said. I'll get off my mini soap box now.
TTFN.

---J.

Anonymous said...

So I figured I'd respond quick to Jimmy's comments. It seemed like Jimmy dismissed
Dennis' ponderings primarily because of his own hurt and misfortune. I think these
issues are profound and intense and definitely worth pondering.

For instance, what and why are society's constraints on male interaction? They have
changed drastically over time. Physical touch is very important to human's, whether
sexual or not. Many studies of shown this. A gay man who becomes isolated
could experience stress not only from not being able to fully express himself sexually,
but also from a simple lack of human touch. Can holding hands and massage ameliorate that?
Yeah, I think so, but it can also complicate other issues.

A couple factors seem very pronounced to me from my own similar experiences. 1) I
always wanted to be able to relate to the person who I showed my affection (it has
been sometimes hard for me to relate to people who are percieved as gay), and 2) I
wanted to feel that I wasn't different, or wrong, that another person would feel
the same way that I did. Those can be very tricky things to deal with.

In my own life, there was one guy that I couldn't help but pressure, and that got really
complicated because he loved me dearly and was confused himself. Argh, so many things
I wish I could take back.

Jimmy stated that he was "apolitical" and that what politicians did
don't directly affect him. Ironically this was in response to Dennis' post about
gay marriage which obviously does directly affect Jimmy. Politics do affect us all,
and not paying attention to them is just as political as being informed and making
informed choices.

On one final note, Jimmy did say one thing that I agree with. Being gay is not
the "entire package." I am a guy, who happens to be gay, but it does not entirely
define who I am by itself.

John

Anonymous said...

More views from John: Click here.

free counters