Monday, August 15, 2005

When We Were Six

I never liked the book much as a kid (I did like Winnie the Pooh), but this weekend was all about things age 6. I visited my godson, Emil, in his hometown of Winnetka, a northern suburb of Chicago. Together we:


  • Played whiffle ball;
  • Explored his new elementary (a really cool structure built designed by Finnish architect, Eliel Saarinen, although 6 year olds don't really care);
  • Played whiffle ball;
  • Rode bikes to the public library;
  • Played whiffle ball;
  • Read Cam Jensen and A-Z mysteries;
  • Played whiffle ball;
  • Watched "Escape to Witch Mountain" (my choice);
  • Played whiffle ball;
  • Went to see the new Charlie & the Chocolate Factory (so that's why Willie is so weird); and
  • Played whiffle ball.

On the adult side of things, I got to eat my favorite Chicago pizza (Giordano's deep dish) and went to a game at Wrigley Stadium where the Cubs beat the Cardinals 5-4. All this and I got to see Ken and Kathryn, my good friends from way back in our college days (20 years, in case you are trying to do the math). Ken is associate priest at the Church of the Holy Comforter.

The heat wave finally broke. Even now, back here in Springfield, the summer days are in more pleasant.



4 comments:

missymussy said...

I think "Church of the Holy Comforter," would be a good name for a home decor store. Whaddaya think?

missymussy said...

I want to be 8 again! Chapter books, silly games, and a deep commitment to doing well in school...the perfect age.

Dennis R. Plummer said...

Some churches would do well to get some good interior decorating!

jonathan said...

I think, "Patch for the Holey Comforter" will help keep the feathers in.

free counters