Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Social Insecurity

My wonderful government social security statement arrived. It states that at age 62 I will receive $498 a month. That payment will be $878 if I work until age 70.

Of course the big disclaimer throughout the statement reads:

    "By 2040, the payroll taxes collected will be enough to pay only about 74 percent of scheduled benefits."
Hmmm...2040. That's when I'll be in my 70's so the $878 will be $650 per month. I wonder if housing costs will be down that low by then. Or maybe I'll retire in my 60's and just take the $369 per month.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We're on our own! - or maybe we can start a commune when we get to our 60's and share the collective poverty.
Feeling your pain,
- Andy

Dennis R. Plummer said...

Glad to be on my own if you are in my company. I'll get to that commune yet. Remember all of our conversations beginning in 1987 and that we've had since? You'd be amazed at how much community has raised its head lately. Check out the link in the next posting. I think that it will bring back memories as well as hope for our future.

free counters