Monday, June 11, 2007

March On

I went to the gay Pride Parade this past Saturday. It's not a huge affair in Albuquerque, mostly friends marching down the street waving to friends watching them from the sidewalk.

Afterwards, I went home. The following things remained true:

  • I can be fired in 30 states simply because I am gay.
  • Same-sex domestic benefits are federally taxed. Heterosexual domestic benefits are not.
  • 45 states have either a constitutional amendment or a law that restricts marriage to one man and one woman.
  • 21 states have no state laws that protect LGBT students against harassment.
  • 19 states do not recognize violence against someone because of sexual orientation as a hate crime.
  • 4 states prohibit my adopting a child.

Still, everyone loves a parade.

(source: Human Rights Campaign.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

and lots pf us love you too!

So@24 said...

unbelievable. i was completely ignorant of all those facts. is this really 2007 or are we still in an age where i need to shine my buckled shoe before i'm off to court the schoolmarm?

free counters