Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Isn’t it curious that I meet someone now and, without knowing that person, decide to invest time and energy trying to deepen our connection to a level that I have already with someone else. Why would I not equally invest time and energy trying to deepen my love for someone with whom I already feel a deep connection?

In other words, what is love that it compels me to forge connections with someone I don’t know, yet it fails to compel me to forge it when I already have those connections with someone else? Why does love compel me to discover it here, but not over there?

Love is curious and escapes my understanding. It just is, I suppose.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since you are missing something in your present relationship, you are trying to find it with someone esle. We are so human ....

Anonymous said...

This is about your earlier post on being known.

I appreciate what you have said about someone knowing you in more totality than most people do.
I have been in a relationship for almost a year, and just a few days we broke up, but it is not surely final yet. But I was thinking about how I appreciated her knowing the totality of me, or at least enough to know where I am and to care enough to know where I am, and to put together the pieces in a way that does not allow me to create illusions...

On the other hand, there have been times when I have found it burdensome to have the expectation of always engaging with her, and the default being that we will be in touch every single day even when there is really nothing obvious to say, and the desire to be a single, unique, individual being.

So... what I wanted to say is that there is really a duality there, and when you're on one side, you see the desirability of the other side of it more. Perhaps.

free counters