Friday, January 13, 2006

Buddy, Can You Spare a Quarter?

After paying bills and checking my so-called budget yesterday, I’m eyeing olives differently.

In Boston I had grown accustomed to seeing any olive as just a martini-in-waiting. Here in Albuquerque I’m learning that, if I quarter them, olives can also be a satisfying 4-course meal. Not something you’d invite guests over to share with by candlelight maybe, but a substantial lunch for one nonetheless when compared to a plateful of tempting ice cubes. No matter how artfully one arranges the cubes.

I’m even learning to break dry spaghetti strands in half--even quarters for that matter--to stretch a package into significantly more meals. Meanwhile, I pulled 50 CDs from my collection to sell at a local used CD store. (I recklessly imprinted CD liner notes in my early days of collecting music, or there could be more.) I’ll do another pull next week and try to be more brutal on myself in letting go. But if you’ve ever stayed up listening to one of my late-night/early-morning musical tours, you know that 50 is a fantastic start for me.

2 comments:

jonathan said...

While home (my former home) in California, I looked upon a stack of a hundred or two records that were flooded upon. It was A thru D or E. My coveted Devo collection is in bad shape. Just about every Johnny Cash record is moldy. Sometimes I think about selling some records but it's hard to sell the moldy ones. The records I have sold (The Cars, New Order, Prince) I miss and the money I made is long gone.

Dennis R. Plummer said...

Moldy LPs look cool as wall covering when tacked up as art on the wall.

Your regret is making me hesistant; my growling stomach encourages me to go boldy forth and sell.

free counters