Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Rain, Rain

...stay with me just this one night....

Today, before my 4th paid client, it started to snow ever so lightly. The flakes were gentle and soft, bringing much need moisture to the dry southwestern desert. It was beautiful and I took a moment to just watch the wonder of it all through my office window.

Now, at home as I watched a DVD episode of the X-Files, I pause the screen to listen more intently to the even patter of a light rain on the roof. Moisture. Water. Life.

Two days ago, as I sat outside basking in the sun, the chickens joined me at my feet to pick at the dry soil. It was nothing but dirt, sand and a few pebbles to my eyes. But to the chickens and their discerning eyes, it was a veritable feast. They skillfully picked nutrition out of the brown soil. Amazing. When you think about it, the ability to peck out those minute grains of food from among dead soil is really quite something.

In Seattle, it recently rained for 27 days straight, for a total of 13.22 inches of rain. No doubt dulled by the wet into not seeing the miracle of life, folks living there saw nothing more than I saw in the dirt. But to the discerning eye and mind, the rain was full of life-giving potential.

Just now, I stepped outside to hear more fully the grace of water falling from the sky, feeding the earth. And I was thankful. Thankful that after 3 months of no precipitation, that at last Albuquerque was being nourished, that rain was again falling from the sky. I wonder how many other moments in my life are missed by not noticing what is vital, of importance and so joyfully needed in my life.

As the posole cooks on the stove, I am filled with a great sense of thankfulness.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Having been in Seattle on the 25th, 26th, 27th days of rain, I can assure you that it did not pass unnoticed. In fact there was a fever in the air as they inched closer to the 33 days of rain record. However, how many were expressing joy in the lifegiving qualities of water you ask... not many.

They WERE giving joy for the Seahawks though, and for all you people who see no value in professional sports, let me just say that nothing cheers you up like a winning team during 27 days of rain! Go seahawks!
Doug.

Jimmy Carlozzi said...

Yes, precipitation is a welcomed friend in New Mexico.
Welcome to New Mexico!! Yes, we have all 4 seasons, all of which can become a happening within the same day.

free counters