Thursday, January 26, 2006

Little More, Little Less

I sold about 45+ CDs today. They are gone from my life, yet not. The music lives on in my soul, and the money makes possible some reheated posole tonight for health.

I'm noticing again the beauty of food. I was in a grocery store today with a friend, Melissa. She offered to buy some food, but I resisted. Whether through deprived ego or through infinite wisdom, with my stomach growling loudly, I noticed again the simple beauty of color and smell. It was easy to be satiated by the simple color and smells, something which a full stasis precludes. Like when the absence of relentless rain dries my soul and intensifies my appreciation, I could more precisely enjoy the presence of the nutrients of health raining down...even without purchasing or physically tasting the surplus of food surrounding me.

Nice. To once again be aware of the truth surrounding me.

P.S. My friend and commenteer, John, has a great posting for viewing Brokeback Mountain. Good stuff.

4 comments:

missymussy said...

are you at least drinking coffee?

Anonymous said...

I'm sure HE is drinking coffee: that's the one thing he would call me for, right Dennis? You cannot go without coffee, especially the smell of coffee :-)

Anonymous said...

Dude, I never know how thin you are stretched (no pun intended) because you're so zen like in your reflections. While I always admire that, it also worries me about how out of touch you may get with people that really care...people who will step up and say "o.k., that's enough, put that Bob Dillan CD down." Hm, I hope there's a bail out plan. As messed up as my relations with family are, I know I can always go there and crash and eat.

And word for the wise, forget that silly deprived ego. You're a fascinating individual who has plenty to be prideful about...but not eating isn't one of them! Let people buy you food. Go to local functions, go to churches, I've done it! Sometimes you have to. Ironically now that I don't need it, many of my meals are bought for me by work, etc. I still don't turn them down :-)

John

Jimmy Carlozzi said...

Your scenario reminds me of my college days in pharmacy school. There were times that I literally lived off of the consumption of plain rice and potatoes. However, I must tell you that there is nothing wrong with receiving the generosity of others. As self-sufficient as I have always prided myself to be, I have to come to realise this. Besides, this is America. There is no good reason why anyone should have to starve.

Now, I am going to play doctor, and lecture you. If you continue to practice this Ghandi contest, you can serious screw up your health. Your metabolsim can seriously change, and not for the better. In an abreviated explanation, your body will start consuming its own vital tissues, and essential mineral stores will become depleted. To make a long story short, your enzyme systems and metabolic pathways can change in a very compromising way, that will enable them to play venomous ping-pong with your entire body.
So, I must simply imply, "Mangia!"

Even, now, as I type this note to you, I am experiencing a not so pleasant moment in the world of dental wonder. Simultaneously, I am forcing myself to eat a bowel of fried rice and drink a cup of green tea.
No pain, no gain??

I think I made my point, loud and clear!

free counters